Saturday, July 23, 2011
The Double Comfort Safari Club by Alexander McCall Smith
The Double Comfort Safari Club is the 11th book in the No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency series by Alexander McCall Smith featuring female Botswana detectives Mma Ramotswe and Mma Makutsi.
In this novel, Mma Ramotswe and Mma Makutsi once again have their fair share of seemingly normal, innocent mysteries to solve. The duo must locate a safari guide held in high regard by a late American guest who has left him a steep legacy, as well as investigate the husband of a local woman who suspects he is cheating, when it is actually more likely that she is the deceiving party in their relationship. Sprinkled with the usual anecdotes on living and leading a decent life in the style of Botswana, McCall Smith provides another cozy experience that will make you feel thankful and count your own blessings.
The Double Comfort Safari Club really impacts a few core characters we've grown to love, and may invoke tears in the more compassionate readers. Without providing spoilers, I would like to state that it was nice to see Mma Ramotswe and Mma Makutsi connect on a more personal, loving level after the horrible event that completely devastates Mma Makutsi. I am dying to read book 12, The Saturday Big Tent Wedding Party, which released in March 2011.
One of the main reasons I love the No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency series is because McCall Smith paints a really beautiful picture of the lifestyle of Botswana people; beautiful because they take nothing for granted and strive to see the good in other people. Many Botswana people live simply and spare themselves the extravagances other cultures get wrapped up in, although Botswanans have every opportunity to do otherwise.
Every time I finish a novel in this series, my brain is steeped in deep thought for a few days afterwards, pondering the troubles of my own life and realizing that it's not so bad after all.
The order of books in the No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency series are:
1. The No 1 Ladies' Detective Agency (1998)
2. Tears of the Giraffe (2000)
3. Morality for Beautiful Girls (2001)
4. The Kalahari Typing School for Men (2002)
5. The Full Cupboard of Life (2003)
6. In the Company of Cheerful Ladies (2004)
7. Blue Shoes and Happiness (2006)
8. The Good Husband of Zebra Drive (2007)
9. The Miracle at Speedy Motors (2008)
10. Tea Time for the Traditionally Built (2009)
11. The Double Comfort Safari Club (2010)
12. The Saturday Big Tent Wedding Party (2011)
Most popular posts of all time
- The 7 Best Cozy Mystery Series
- Blue Bloods by Melissa de la Cruz
- The Best True Crime Books (and Authors)
- 5 Most Interesting Biographies & Memoirs
- Aunt Dimity and the Family Tree by Nancy Atherton
- Killer in Crinolines by Duffy Brown
- 5 Creepy Horror Novels You Can't Miss
- The Cat in the Hat Beginner Book Dictionary by Dr. Seuss and P.D. Eastman
- Semper by Peter Dudley
- The 4 Best Chick-Lit Authors